What credit cards are accepted?
Major International Credit Cards like American Express, Visa Card, Master Card and JCB Card can be used in the Resorts, Hotels, Restaurants and major Shops of the Maldives.
What currencies are used?
The national currency is Rufiyaa (MRf) and Laari (L) (1 Rufiyaa – 100 Laaris), and bank notes come in denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 500 in addition to coins in the denominations of MRf 2, MRf 1 and 50 L, Most resorts and hotels accept payments in most hard cash currencies
What are the languages spoken?
Dhivehi – a language spoken exclusively by Maldivians, is the National language, but English is used widely in commerce and education. Also, most people working in the tourism industry are competent in Italian, French, Spanish, German and Japanese.
What should I wear?
T-shirts and other light cotton clothes are the most suitable. Nudity is forbidden in all areas and modest clothing of non-see-through material (especially for women) is recommended when visiting all inhabited islands
When is the peak season for tourism?
November through April is the peak season and reservations should be made well in advance if you are planning to travel during this period.
The sun shining throughout the year, any time is a good time to visit the Maldives. Rainfalls occur frequently during June and July. From December till April, is considered as the dry season. During the dry season you can enjoy plenty of sunshine. The rainy season is perfect for surfers to ride the legendary swells.
What is the usual climate?
Sub-tropical, with two monsoons, hot, humid and dry in northeast monsoon (November to March) and rainy in southwest monsoon (June to August) Average temperature around 29 – 32 degrees Celsius.
Where and how are the resorts organized?
Each resort is an exclusive island that has all amenities contained and generated on the island.
What is the capital?
Malé (population = 350,200)
What is the time difference?
The Maldives are five hours ahead (GMT +05:00) of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). To offer holiday makers the optimum use of the tropical sun most resorts have their clocks put forward one hour to GMT+6.
The Maldives is one of the easiest countries to acquire a tourist visa, as any visitor with a valid passport will be granted a free 30 day visa upon arrival.
However an entry permit does not permit visitors to take up employment, set up any business or conduct any professional activities (paid or unpaid) except with the consent of the government and in compliance with pertinent laws and regulations of the Maldives.
Where is the Maldives ?
In the Indian Ocean between 7° 6′ 35″ and 0° 42′ 24″ south and between 72° 33′ 19″ and 73° 46′ 13″ east of Greenwich.
The Maldives is an archipelagic nation of 1190 islands scattered across the Central Indian Ocean, belonging to the continent of Asia. The closest neighbours to the Maldives are India and Sri Lanka.
What are the health requirements in the Maldives?
A visitor coming from a region where cholera and yellow fever is endemic requires an inoculation certificate from cholera or yellow fever. Children less than 1 year are exempted from this health requirement.
Visitors arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting in countries with risk of yellow fever transmission, without obtaining a yellow fever vaccination certificate are subject to the vaccination upon arrival and will be quarantined for 10 days at their own expenses.
What are the prohibited and restricted goods?
It is prohibited to import religious materials offensive to Islam, idols (for worship), pornographic materials, narcotics and psychotropic substances and live pigs.
Restricted items include arms and ammunitions, alcohol and Spirits, pork and its by-products, dogs and dangerous animals unless authorised by the government. The Maldives Customs Service will confiscate any prohibited or restricted items listed here.
Is it allowed to bring pets to the Maldives?
It is not allowed to bring dogs to the Maldives. However, you can bring cats to the Maldives provided that the cat has been vaccinated for rabies and various other diseases, one month prior to visiting the Maldives.
How can I reach the Maldives?
Reputed airlines operate daily flights to the Maldives. Hence, reaching the Maldives is an uncomplicated affair, aboard excellent airlines offering world-class services. There are international and domestic airlines offering air travel services.
The following is a list of International Airlines that operates flights frequently to and from the Maldives:
1. Aeroflot http://www.aeroflot.ru/
2. Air India http://www.airindia.com/
3. Austrian Airlines http://www.austrian.com/
4. Bankok Airways http://www.bangkokair.com/
5. British Airways http://www.britishairways.com/
6. Cathay Pacific http://www.cathaypacific.com/
7. China Eastern http://www.flychinaeastern.com/
8. China Southern http://www.flychinasouthern.com/
9. Condor http://www.condor.com/
10. Edelweiss http://www.edelweissair.ch/en
11. Emirates http://www.emirates.com/
12. Ethihad Airways http://www.etihad.com/
13. Fits Air http://www.fitsair.com/
14. Fly Dubai http://www.flydubai.com/
15. Hainan Airlines http://www.global.hnair.com/
16. Hongkong Airlines http://www.hongkongairlines.com/
17. Korean Air http://www.koreanair.com/
18. Xl Airways http://www.xlairways.fr/
19. Maldivian http://www.maldivian.aero/
20. Malaysia Airlines http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/
21. Mega Maldives http://www.megamaldivesair.com/
22. Meridiana Fly http://www.meridiana.it/en/
23. Neos http://www.neosair.it/
24. Oman Air http://www.omanair.com/
25. Qatar Airways http://www.qatarairways.com/
26. Sichuan Airlines http://www.scal.com.cn/B2C
27. Singapore Airlines http://www.singaporeair.com/
28. Srilankan Airlines http://www.srilankan.com/
29. Spice Jet http://wwww.spicejet.com/
30. Thomsonfly http://www.thomsonfly.com/
31. Transaero Airlines http://www.transaero.com/
32. Turkish Airline http://www.turkishairlines.com/